Sunday, January 31, 2021

Vintage Quilt repair

I am no expert on repairing vintage quilts but I am giving it another try. This quilt belongs to my 80 year old neighbor Fran. Her grandmother made this beauty. It had a lot of damage, but no so much that it could not be saved.

We decided together to cover the damage with hearts that match the sashing. Some areas were very large to I first pieced together several hearts together to make a big patch and then hand appliqued them on. 

I think it worked great. It is SO tricky appliquing an already completed quilt. You have to be very careful to not let your thread show on the back!!!!




Isn't it a beauty? So sweet. Next week is one of Fran's grand-daughters birthday and this will be hers. All I have left to do is cover the entire top sashing as it is shredding the entire length. I wish there was another way, butI think it will be ok and it will definitely stop the damage from progressing.



 I hope to complete this today and then I can get back to work finishing a dress for my granddaughter. It just needs buttons and button holes and I need to make a matching dress for her doll!!!




Happy sewing and quilting friends. I hope you have a lovely week!! Stay strong, stay safe and God Bless each and everyone of you!!!


Martha

2 comments:

  1. That vintage quilt is a treasure, so nice that you were able to find a suitable fabric for the creative patches. Sweet dress for your granddaughter too. She will love having a matching dress for her doll.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there!!! I was really lucky to find that fabric!! And so happy that it matched so well. I didn't want to take away from the original quilt so it's working perfectly. My granddaughter is already excited about the doll dress, I think more than hers!!! Next I need to teach her how to sew the doll dresses by hand. She enjoys the hand work, not as much a machine sewer yet but then she is only 7.

      Delete

Thanks for leaving me a comment!! :^) I will try to get back to you as soon as possible with a personal email. If your are a no reply commenter, I will leave you a reply on my blog!
As of 1/10/14-all comments are reviewed before posting due to an increase in spammers :(