Saturday, July 11, 2020

Facemask Tutorial

The Fitted Facemask
 Here is the pattern I used for the Fitted Facemask. She has the pattern to print out and instructions for a few variations. I ended up sewing mine a little different but using her paper pattern. Either way, you will have a really nice fitted facemask with sizes for men, women/teens, and children.
 I used the same pattern piece with 1/8" cut off all edges for the fusible interfacing.

ITEMS NEEDED:
Patterns for size needed-printed-I like to print mine on paper-piecing paper
Fabric for front and lining
Fusible Interfacing
Pipecleaner for nose (I do not put any wire in the children's masks)
Thread
Elastic/2 pieces: Men 7"-7 1/2", Women 6"-6 1/2", Children 5"- 5 1/2"

With right sides together, cut two front pieces and two lining pieces and two fusible interfacing pieces.

Fuse interfacing to wrong side of facemask lining

 Sew 2 Facemask pieces and 2 lining pieces together at center seam


Open to one side and finger press seam on both the front and lining the same direction.




Open mask and lining and edge stitch to the left of the seam and close to seam line securing seam allowance.




Pin elastic to corners


Pin front to back, carefully repinning the corners to maintain the elastic position.


Begin sewing about 1" from the center seam on the bottom of the mask and end approximately 1" before the center seam. You will be leaving about 2 inches on the bottom open to facilitate turning the mask right side out.



Clip the curved seams being careful not to clip into the sewn seam.


Turn right side out and finger press all seams


Cut a 5"-6" piece of wire and bend in middle. Insert into the mask along the top seam line.


Clip wire in place and stitch a 1/4" seam to keep the wire in place. Stitch a couple stitches into the seam before and after the wire so that it doesn't shift when washed.




Fold bottom edges in at seam line and pin. Edge stitch narrow seam around entire mask avoiding stitching through the wire.



On the sides of mask, measure up from bottom about 1 1/2" and place pin. Fold mask in half over pin and then fold about a 1/4" up and pin, see photos below, to form a small pleat. Stitch pleat and secure thread.








And you are done!!!

So there you go!!! I now have 3 mask tutorials on my blog,and since I don't see an end to wearing them in sight, we might as well make some gorgeous masks for ourselves and friends and family!!!

I am now up to 330 masks made and given away. Yep, I haven't been charging for them.

You could say I see this as one of my callings from our Dear Lord. Help one another. I love that he gave me the skills to do something to help mankind. How lucky are we that we love to sew and quilt??!!

If you have questions or comments, please leave me a message!!!

Blessings to you all
Martha

2 comments:

  1. Good information here, Martha! It's a great time to be a sewist, isn't it? I tried this pattern for my hubs and me, and we decided it's not our favorite. I found that the more I talked, the more my chin pulled the mask down from my nose. Giggle... maybe I don't have the personality to wear a mask like this! Too extroverted, perhaps? :-)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Good Morning!!! I agree with you on the mask slipping a bit the more you talk. I made an Oregon Beaver mask for my Dr, he loves it and wears it all the time but it does slip a bit. I am going to play with the paper pattern and see if I can figure out how to remedy the problem!!! Once I do that, I shall post an update!!! Hope you have a lovely weekend!!!

      Delete

Thanks for leaving me a comment!! :^) I will try to get back to you as soon as possible with a personal email. If your are a no reply commenter, I will leave you a reply on my blog!
As of 1/10/14-all comments are reviewed before posting due to an increase in spammers :(