Sunday, March 24, 2013

Harley Davidson Skull Quilt-And the new owner is:

Cindy and her new quilt!!! :^)

And the winner is: Cindy and Mike of the Road Maggots!!!
They decided to run an auction for the quilt instead of raffle tickets. The winning bid was $550.00!!!! WOW!! And they both really seem to love the quilt! I am so glad and relieved that it is going to a home where it will be cherished!!!

So I came up with the idea for this quilt back in July when we were given the lessons of free motion quilting using a tile concept from Angela Walters. I had sketched out the skull and cobwebs on a 3 1/2" X 3 1/2" sticky note and put it away for later use. And then this event came up and I thought, "Perfect!!"

My first skull was good, but my husband said it wasn't mean or scary enough. So I redid his eyes to be a little more stern looking.

The Harley Davidson skull cap was also an after thought. I had planned on putting the Harley emblem somewhere on the quilt and cobweb it in. Then last Monday, I thought I would just put it on his forehead, kind of as a joke, and it occurred to me that he needed a skull cap. I quickly cut out a piece of black fabric in the shape of the top of his head and put the emblem on top of that and it was, well,  just meant to be!!!

I knew I wanted to quilt the flames in the outer boarder,  but when I did that, the lighter border seemed to really clash with it. So I added the 1/4" black bias to separate the two, and it worked. Thank goodness. I was getting pretty upset by then!!! That was yesterday!!! I was up until 2 am working on the quilt, then got up at 6:30 this morning and worked another 2 hours on it. I think I have about 30-40 hours of work on this little quilt that measures 32.5" X 32.5".

So here is a little photo trip through the creating, sewing, quilting of "Run For A Brother".
Choices, choices, choices!!! Which skull to go with?? Hmmmmmm???
Now I have to decide which mouth?
Layered and ready to pin.
All pinned and ready to quilt.
Working on his teeth.
Nasal Surgery!!! Quilting in his nose actually!!
Starting the cobweb tiles.
Checking out the placement for the bike!!
It looks so much better with the skull cap on!!
More quilting done
Stitching the bike. I used a tear-away stabilizer which I will NEVER do again!! It was very hard to tear it all away. Next time I will use Sulky Sticky Fabri-Solvy!!!!

More quilting done and still much more to do!
Close up of the finished bike.
There are 4 spiders hidden around the quilt.
Free motion quilting the flames.

Done with the flames! WHEW!!!!
The label on the back :^)
There were a lot of bikes and a lot of wonderful people at the Poker Run. All there to help out a!!! Some Harley dudes look pretty tough, but they have hearts of gold. Today, they showed their true colors!!!! Here's some photos of the gathering.

Sweet!!! Love all the bikes!!!

Notice the quilt in the background? The auction is about to commmence!!
My son Drew, his wife Jessica and her mom Jackie!!!
It was a good day! I heard they raised about $6000.00. A very good day indeed!!!

Take care everyone, Happy Quilting and keep those needles sharp. Later. Martha


  1. Wow!!!! You did a fantastic job on the quilt...I was anxious to see it finished....very nice

  2. You did a fabulous job designing and quilting this quilt. So glad to hear it raised a lot of money. We saw a lot of bikers on 99 from Dallas/Monmouth area between 1:00-1:30 heading south on Sunday.
    Have a great week.

  3. Outstanding!Congratulations on raising so much for your friend/brother.

  4. Very cool quilt!! Congratulations!!

  5. Wow! That is an incredible quilt. The quilting on it is just amazing. Well done!


Thanks for leaving me a comment!! :^) I will try to get back to you as soon as possible with a personal email. If your are a no reply commenter, I will leave you a reply on my blog!
As of 1/10/14-all comments are reviewed before posting due to an increase in spammers :(