Sunday, December 9, 2012

Support Operation Homefront and A Pictorial Tutorial/Half Square Quilt Coaster

I'm participating in SewCalGal's Quilters Christmas Party fund-raiser today to help support Operation Homefront!!

We have had and continue to have family in the military. My father-in-law, Frank Briese, and my dad, Walney Wallace, both served in the Air Force during World War II. I now have two nephews serving in the military, one in the Navy and one in the Army. I am very proud of both.

SewCalGal, a friend of mine, is hosting a Christmas Party for Quilters on December 9th (Sunday-today) with sponsored prizes!  This party will take on two forms:  A virtual party and a physical party in San Diego. I am, of course, participating in the virtual party :^) There are loads of prizes you can win and the cause is heart-warming. Support our injured troops who have come home and their families. Times are so tough for them, and they have given much. This is one way to give back. 

So head on over to SewCalGal's to learn more after you've learned how to make a quilt coaster for yourself or for family and friends!!


Curious about all the prizes? click here to go to SewCalGals posting on the party and the list of amazing prizes!!!

And, if you'd like to learn more about Operation Homefront, please click here and you will find more information!!


So for my contribution, in addition to donating money, I am posting a simple tutorial on home-made coasters. Mine are holiday coasters, but you can use any fabrics you choose. Making them to go with the decor or personality of the receiver would be awesome!!! They make a wonderful gift for family, friends, or for yourself!!

Everyone drinks something, and having a sweet little coaster, that is washable, to put that cup/mug on to protect surfaces is a wonderful thing!! Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays :^)

QUILT COASTERS

You will need for one coaster:
6- 5 inch squares-3 of one print and 3 of another
1- 5 inch square of batting

The directions will be a series of photos! I learn best when I can read and see the instructions-so here we go.

Assemble your 6 5" squares and batting
Fold 2 squares of each of your chosen colors in half on the diagonal and press.
Ready to assemble.
Place color one right side down (wrong side up)
Place batting on top.
Layer color two with wrong side down (right side up) on top of batting.
Continue layering starting with a color one-half triangle-placing the fold in the center- 90 degree corner in upper right corner, line up the edges.
Add color two half square triangle-placing folded edge in center- 90 degree corner in bottom right corner.
Add another color-one half square triangle-fold in center-90 degree corner in bottom left corner.
Add the last color-two half square triangle-fold in center-90 degree corner in the upper left corner.
Pin the right edge, bottom edge, and left edge.
Fold back the right corner of the last half-square triangle to reveal half of the bottom color-one triangle.
Fold back the bottom, color-one, half-square triangle.
Un-fold color-two, half-square triangle, laying it back down in place.
Lay the bottom, color-one, half-square triangle over color-two. Your layered coaster should look similar to this. Pin the top edge.
Your layers, all ready to sew!!

Sew a 1/4" seam all the way around. I am using a regular foot on my machine, but a walking foot would make this a lot easier as you are going through many layers!!!

 Seams sewn and corners clipped!

Be careful not to clip the sewn corners completely off-spoken with experience!!

Reach inside and turn the coaster right sides out.

Ta-Da!!! Work the corners and edges out.

Press flat.

OK, now the real Ta-Da!!!! Done :^)

Several ready for gift giving!!!
Or for me
to use while I am sewing!!!
I hope you enjoyed this simple lesson. If you have any questions, leave me a comment. I will try to get back to you as quickly as I can. We are having a Motorcycle Toy Run today, so I will be busy with that also, need to collect as many toys and we can to give to children in our area!!

Take Care everyone, Happy Quilting, and keep those scissors sharp!! Martha



9 comments:

  1. Thank you to your family for defending our country!

    The tutorial is really nice! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your tutorial is so cute and easy! I think this would make a great program project for my local guild. Thanks for sharing, and Merry
    Christmas to you and your family!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a fun tutorial...can't wait to try it out!
    And what a fun party - I didn't even have to get out of my PJ's to attend! LOL

    ReplyDelete
  4. These are fun. Great photos and directions. I just took a mini class using this same technique with 9 inch squares to make hot pot holders. Instead of batting use Insul-brite to make them more heat resistant. Someone suggested that if you give these for gifts to add a note that they are NOT microwave safe - the Insul-brite has foil in it. Good luck with the party.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the tutorial ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete
  6. What a great tutorial! Thanks so much for sharing. I so appreciate the sacrifices your family has made to keep us all safe and free.

    Smiles,
    Kelly

    ReplyDelete
  7. Thanks for the tutorial -- the coasters are really cute! And good luck with the Motorcycle Toy Run.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thanks for coming to the Quilter's Christmas Party Martha. I'm delighted to have a chance to party with you. Please do thank all of your family that has served and is currently serving. Not a day doesn't go by that I don't think about the freedoms I have and how I wouldn't have them without those that have served.

    Thank you too for the wonderful coaster tutorial. I'm definitely going to make some of those for Christmas gifts. Great idea!

    I hope you and your family have a very Merry Christmas!

    SewCalGal
    www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment!! :^) I will try to get back to you as soon as possible with a personal email. If your are a no reply commenter, I will leave you a reply on my blog!
As of 1/10/14-all comments are reviewed before posting due to an increase in spammers :(