Saturday, September 26, 2020

Repairing an old loved quilt



My neighbor Fran, who is 80 years old, asked me to mend this quilt her mother made for her. She is giving it to her granddaughter for her birthday. 

There were many 1/2" to 1" holes and I really had to brainstorm on how to fix them.


I found two yellow fabrics that matched really well and decided to hand applique hearts over the holes.


They worked out really well and just seem to blend in which makes me very happy. I did not want to take away from the quilt itself.


There was also embroidery missing on some of the applique flowers and butterflys, so I relearned the blanket stitch and repaired all the missing stitches.


Applique on an already finished quilt is a little tricky. I made sure none of my stitches showed on the back.

And then there was this one butterfly that was so thin and was beginning to shred.
I added some applique to the fabric to cover up the damage. The pale pink blended right in.








I got the quilt done in time for the birthday party. I haven't heard if she was pleased or not as I had to head to work, so had my husband deliver it.

I have another quilt to repair for Fran, but this one was made by her grandmother, so very old. I need to find a pale mint fabric to match and I shall be doing more applique hearts!!!

 I hope you are well, healthy, happy.
God Bless.
Happy Quilting!!!!

martha

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a comment!! :^) I will try to get back to you as soon as possible with a personal email. If your are a no reply commenter, I will leave you a reply on my blog!
As of 1/10/14-all comments are reviewed before posting due to an increase in spammers :(