Sunday, April 17, 2016

Disappearing Hour Glass- A photo tutorial


Hi everyone!! Hope you are doing well and enjoying the day!! I haven't had much chance to sew and quilt these days as they have been filled with learning about Smoking Cessation and how to teach it!!

I decided that today I would take a break and get some sewing done. I still need to work on class 3 of the Freedom From Smoking class I am currently teaching.

A couple months ago our guild worked on Disappearing Hour Glass blocks. One of the gals in our group found instructions and shared them with us. So I thought I would share with you.

Two 10" squares-one light and one dark
Pin right sides together.
Sew 1/4" seam on all sides
Cut in half on the diagonals-corner to corner
BEWARE!!
You are now working with blocks on the diagonal which
can be challenging. Press gently avoiding stretching the
fabric!!!!
Press. I like my seams open. Your choice here!!
Trim to 6 1/2" square
Lay out in hour glass design and sew together.
Press seams open.
Cut 4 1/8" from the outer edge-one each side.
Turn all outer pieces 180 degrees, turn the center once.
And you get a star!!
OR- turn the outer corners 180 degrees and the center once.
You get a different design.
I chose this one as it is different from what you normally see.
Here it is pieced and pressed.
Three blocks done. I will try and get one more done today. I love the way they
look together. I may do 16 blocks for this quilt. Still undecided!!

This is fun and easy to do. Just take your time with the blocks and you should have no problems!!

I am planning on making one more today then on to another sewing/quilting project. Then I need to mow the lawn and after that work on my quit smoking class. Life has gotten a bit to busy these days!

Take care friends!!! Have a lovely day

Martha

4 comments:

  1. not come across this block before but will certainly be having a go, thanks for the instructions

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome Margaret! I look forward to seeing your blocks! It is a fun litle block and easy to construct!!

      Delete
  2. Wow! That is really neat. I just did some disappearing 9 patch blocks, but love the intricacy of the disappearing hour glass block. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome!! I love doing the disappearing 9-patch also. Fun block and so fabulous in a quilt!! Hope you have fun with the disappearing hour glass!

      Delete

Thanks for leaving me a comment!! :^) I will try to get back to you as soon as possible with a personal email. If your are a no reply commenter, I will leave you a reply on my blog!
As of 1/10/14-all comments are reviewed before posting due to an increase in spammers :(