Saturday, August 16, 2014

The Modern Quilt Guild's Michael Miller Fabric Challenge Quilt


I tried entering the challenge but came up two weeks late on my finish!! Oh well, I gave it a good shot, but work has been so draining for the last several months that I could not muster up enough energy to finish on time.

I will be honest, I am not totally happy with this. I like the quilting, but the design just doesn't cut the mustard as they say!!!???


I started with this design, which is hard to see in the quilt.
I am planning on making another quilt with this, but with
fabrics that will show off the design and shapes!!
Here are the fabrics they gave us. You could use what you
wanted, add any solids and any other Michael Miller
fabrics.
I added this floral. I just loved it!!! And I did not use the
bright orange fabric. I also added gray and white fabrics.
I retraced the pattern
cut it up
decided fabric placement and began paper piecing it back
together
Played around with centers and borders for a bit


I used this awesome stencil from The Stencil Company
I kind of layered the spirals all over the quilt

Then got to work using my free motion foot
It was a bit bumpy when done. I used two layers,
wool and cotton.
So I put it in the tub and let it soak for awhile
Layed it on the guest bed, squared it up
and pinned well until dry!
Now it is lying very flat!!
I did not like the black center after all! Too late now. So I pulled out my white fabric paint and got to work!!

Better
Improving
And finally done. Oh, the little flowers were also painted.
I drew them out when I was working on the spirals, so as
I came to each one, I quilted around them, then painted
them when it was all done.
Well, that is it for today!! Take Care, Happy Quilting and keep those scissors sharp!! Martha

5 comments:

  1. looks amazing and the painted centre piece has really worked well, great design and lovely circular quilting

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love the design and the quilting though I agree that different fabrics might have showcased the design better. Neat idea to use the fabric paint. I never would have thought of that

    ReplyDelete
  3. Martha I am in awe that anyone could piece a spiral like that. And what a great solution to fabric paint the center! You are a "think on your feet" kind of quilter and I love that!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow! That is beautiful! Love the quilting as well!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is wonderful! Thanks for showing your design process. Beautiful quilting, also ... :) Pat

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment!! :^) I will try to get back to you as soon as possible with a personal email. If your are a no reply commenter, I will leave you a reply on my blog!
As of 1/10/14-all comments are reviewed before posting due to an increase in spammers :(