Thursday, October 31, 2013

FMQ 2013 Challenge #5-It's All About Borders with Patsy Thompson



Yes, I posted this quilt yesterday and today I am posting it again. When I started on this quilt I had decided to make it for the Wicked Blog Hop AND this challenge by adding in several small borders and row borders.

I used three of Patsy's designs the quilt. Worms, which I have renamed "tabs" because I put them in the outer border and you can only see half of the quilting which gives it the appearance of a tab on the edge :^)

This is the backside so you can actually see them.
Now the front
And the front with the binding on. See how the design appears different now?

I also used Swirls and Seashells. They don't show up really well like I was hoping, but that's what happens when you do black on black and then a varigated on a varigated plaid!!! Oh well!
Again, the view from the back shows the quilting off much better than the front!!
And the front!!
I think my favorite border is the falling Oak leaves, that was fun. At first I just had a line going through the middle but it needed more. So I added the green veins and now it looks awsome!!!


And I cannot leave out my feathered feline,he reminds me of our Diane Gaudynski feather challenge last year :^) And actually, I think my kitty kind of looks like Diane's cat, Oliver!!! Hmmmmm!!!!!
The kitty and pumpkins and all related pieces are all hand appliqued.

This little gem is now hanging at work, in the Dr's office I work in. We have about 10 providers in the building. I have about 26 quilts hanging in various spots throughout the office. I am so lucky to have such an awesome place to hang my work, and the patients seem to really love it. Warms my heart :^)

Thank you SewCal Gal for giving us the last two years of Free Motion Quilting Challenges. I have grown so much in my skills and have met so many wonderful people along the way who I call friends now. You are a blessing and a gift and I thank you from the bottom of my heart!!! Truly!!!

Take care everyone, Happy Quilting, and keep those scissors sharp!!! Martha


4 comments:

  1. What a great project and I especially love "Oliver"! Wish I had been able to participate this year but other projects took over my life and time. But happily there are several quilts underway, and another that I'm itching to start soon. Happy November!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Martha, your borders idea is truly original and beautiful!! Well done on incorporating the borders in the way you have. And Oliver is just gorgeous. (I enjoyed this challenge too). Happy quilting!!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Martha, I love this cat and what you have done for the borders, what a great and innovative idea. I too enjoyed the challenges over the past two years. TWO YEARS, good grief. We must have been crazy - no not really. I do hope we can all keep in touch.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am glad you posted this again. I absolutely love this quilt! This makes a great fall quilt.

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment!! :^) I will try to get back to you as soon as possible with a personal email. If your are a no reply commenter, I will leave you a reply on my blog!
As of 1/10/14-all comments are reviewed before posting due to an increase in spammers :(