Thursday, October 25, 2012

Durango

This is the finished quilt from the September 2012 Free Motion Quilting Challenge hosted by SewCalGal!!! I named it Durango. Growing up, we drove to Durango Colorado many times to visit my Aunt Irene, Uncle Bob and their kids Chris and Jim, my two cousins.

The top was quilted with YLI 100wt silk thread. The bobbin is Superior Masterpiece 50wt.

I loved it there. It was always warm with beautiful blue skys, and the Turquoise jewelry, simply amazing!!! I remember necklaces called squash blossoms, and this little quilt really reminds me a lot of them.

The background shading was done with one of my very favorite technical tools, the Crayola Crayon. This one is called Robins Egg Blue!!

Yep, awesome tool for sure!! I colored the background before I did the background stippling!!
The center design is from a stencil, but I added more feathers to the centers. It just looked like it needed more.
It was a fun little quilt to work on!! I hope you enjoy :^)

Happy Quilting everyone, Take Care, and keep those needles sharp!!! Martha

3 comments:

  1. Hi Martha, The crayola effect is beautiful and new to me. How do you set the color? And, would you do this before or after you stipple those areas? Is the piece then washable by hand? The bit of color really sets off all the great quilted shapes. Just thinking what I could do with the box of 64 ...

    ReplyDelete
  2. So cool Martha! Everytime I look at it, I see something new!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment!! :^) I will try to get back to you as soon as possible with a personal email. If your are a no reply commenter, I will leave you a reply on my blog!
As of 1/10/14-all comments are reviewed before posting due to an increase in spammers :(