Wednesday, May 30, 2012

2012 Free-Motion Quilting Challenge-May

So I finished my May challenge for the 2012 Free-Motion Quilt Challenge!! Our teacher was Leah Day, who I greatly admire!! She gave us two designs to work on and I put both of them into the border of my sea-horse applique. I still have more quilting to do on this piece, but the border is completely done!!!

The following photos are closeups of the border. I found it difficult at first with the base meandering line with the large size of it. I have gotten so used to doing very small stippling, that doing it in large form posed a bit of a challenge.
After your base line is "drawn",  you go over it with another meandering line, curved and straight. I didn't think that I would like the straight meandering, but it ended up being my favorite. I will use both of these designs in future projects.







In this quilt, the border quilting designs represent the seaweed and the coral found in the ocean.

Thank-you Leah Day for participating in our 2012 Free-Motion Challenge. This was truly a fun and educational challenge!!! I love all your quilting designs and have used several in other quilts!!

Take care everyone, Happy Quilting, and keep those needles sharp!!! Martha

4 comments:

  1. nice work...i like this in the borders

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love your quilt! Really like the boarder quilting it looks great :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Beautiful quilt.
    The border quilting is great - I really like the railroad design.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You did a beautiful job filling your border with these two designs. I love how you combined them. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks for leaving me a comment!! :^) I will try to get back to you as soon as possible with a personal email. If your are a no reply commenter, I will leave you a reply on my blog!
As of 1/10/14-all comments are reviewed before posting due to an increase in spammers :(